Yahoo! Avatars

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thing #23

Yippee!! I made it to the end. For a person who is almost 70 years of age and one who retired over ten years ago, this has been a big challenge. I am definitely in the bottom of the group, but I am absolutely sure that I had farther to go than probably anyone else in the class. I am so pleased that I took a deep breath and signed up for the class. I definitely know that each of the things that I accomplished does not give me the skill to be able to teach that skill to a student, but at least I now know where to start. I was thrilled when my Superintendent told me about a multi-discipline activity that we are going to do in the high school this year and I was able to give him a suggestion of a technique that I had learned in this class--I am scheduled to meet with the technology teacher to implement that. Thank you so much for that!!


1. Picking a favorite is hard, but I suppose that knowing how to embed a YouTube or TeacherTube into a blog is up there at the top. You didn't ask for my least favorite, but that would be the mashup exercise, because I was not very successful at that--I would love to be able to do a map project and I was not able to master mappr and importing it into the blog; I had to settle for a beginning Mosaic project.


2. Doing projects like this definitely keeps my mind active and, hopefully, continually learning. I am going to love knowing how to do some of the projects that I have seen the students attempting to do; now, I think that I can help them.


3. Lots of unexpected outcomes, but I was thrilled to be able to locate the Billy Joel TeacherTube presentation after reading another blog. I loved reading other blogs--they gave me some wonderful ideas for future projects.


4. I'm not sure that I know enough to really answer this question, but one of the problems that I had was that I was hesitant to ask a question about something that I did not know how to do. I suppose that I am like so many students that do not ask questions because they are afraid it is a stupid question with an obvious answer--so the problem was with me rather than with the course.


5. Yes, I think that I would take another course. Our world is changing so quickly and when you live in a remote area, it is difficult to find courses that you can take without driving long distances and at great expense. I am envious of all of you in the Spring Branch ISD system who know people that are taking the course to personally ask questions about something that you do not understand and/or to bounce ideas around with someone else.


6. AWESOME!! or "A mind-expanding class".


7. I have commented on several during the class, but I will go back and add comments to two or three of my favorite blogs.

1 comment:

VWB said...

Hey, age knows no boundary when you declare yourself a life-long learner! and as for "retired" it sound like you are in name only...how wonderful that you have already made a sggestion that will be used in the coming new school year.

I am sorry that you did not feel totally comfortable in asking for help...but from this point forward, please consider yourself a part of the SBISD blogging community and ask away...that's what is so great about all of these 2.0 tools...they allow us to expand our boundaries and circles of influence.

please keep us informed about the new things you get involved in by keeping up your blog...we will be reading!