Yahoo! Avatars

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Thing #15

I read the articles listed in the instructions and they all reinforced my belief that entering the libraries of the very near future will not be a physical visit to a library building--I believe that more and more patrons will access the library materials from some kind of web service. The article entitled "Into a New World of Librarianship" addresses some of the things that we librarians will have to do, but I believe those are things that we always have done--now, we are just having to do them outside our physical space. In the article "Away from the 'icebergs'" I agree that we are going to have to do away with our "just in case" mentality; however, I would bet that most of us have not bought as many non-fiction books for our collection as we did at one time simply because we know that the book is probably going to be out-of-date before it reaches our hands--much of that money is now being spent on on-line services. I really think that librarians as a whole try to keep one step ahead of the "troops" to be ready for them--for what other reason would an "old dog" like me be taking a course like this.

No comments: